Sunday, April 9, 2017

What Happens with A Sleep Test (Besides Sleep!)

First off, let me disclaim that I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV).  How my peeps do things may be different than how your peeps do things.  This is all based on my own personal experience.  Now, on to the sleep study stuff...

Sometime at the end of last month I underwent a sleep study.  I've always been a crazy sleeper but it's gotten progressively worse these past few months.  I'm very active in my sleep and I have crazy vivid dreams.  I rub my legs together like a cricket during mating season.  If I'm laughing in my dream, I'm laughing out loud.  If I'm fighting in my sleep, I'm kicking and screaming for real.  (Jason has been the brunt of it several times.)  If I'm peeing in my dream...yep, you get it!  I feel like I'm more active when I'm trying to sleep than I am any other time of the day.

Any ole' how, my doctor scheduled a sleep study.  Before the actual procedure, I made a quick visit with the technician who would be monitoring me and hooking me up.  She wanted me to be aware of what I was getting myself into.

I received a list of dos and do-nots to abide by prior to and for the actual study.  Some of them were:

No caffeine products after noon the day of the test (this one was hard for me!)

No lotions, make-up, polish, hairspray, hair pieces, etc.  In other words, come in looking like a total hot mess.

Bring something comfortable to sleep in.  Whatever pajamas you wear are A-ok.  But you can't go commando (even if that is how you snooze at home).

On the night of the sleep study, I was ushered up to a room.  In it was a TV, Queen size bed, fan, coffee table, and wires everywhere.  To the side was a bathroom with a shower.  The place was very clean and cozy.

The technician took no time strapping me up with wires from every color known to man and sticking electrodes on my head with goopy gel.  My chest and waist got strapped in like I was heading to the electric chair.  Every part of my body with the exception of my lady bits was either strapped, prodded, wired, or gooped.  I can honestly say none of the process was painful.  It was just a matter of taking the time to become iRobot.

It took a little over an hour for everything to get put in place, then the technician gave me an hour before lights out (just like summer camp).  It didn't take me long to go to sleep because I had been up for many, many hours before and was ready to get things going.

During the test, it was my responsibility to sleep.  If certain things happened during certain times, the technician would either come in the room to speak to me or she would talk through a speaker on the ceiling (Big Brother alert!)  Twice she came in to adjust wires and tape because I displaced them.  Although it's a possibility for many people, there was no time that the technician felt it necessary to come in and place a CPAP around my face.  I slept and that was that.

At around 6 am (too darn early for me) the tech came in and took the wires off.  And it was during that time why I realized a shower is necessary.  My hair was something from a scene in There's Something About Mary.  I took my nasty self straight home and showered there.

And that, my friends, is a sleep study. Ta-duh!
"Is that hair gel?"

I waited three weeks for the test results and got a simple "Your sleep study showed up normal".  WTF?!

Now, I'm not saying I have sleep apnea or need a CPAP but I can tell ya my sleep is far from normal.  I call BS and here's why:

1.  Their bed and pillow was a trap.  It's the most comfortable I'd ever slept in.  For real.

2.  I work night shift and the study was done during an evening I was off work.  So, I didn't sleep the hours I normally do.

3.  There was no way I could toss and turn.  As soon as I did, I'd get reminded that I was hooked up to a trillion plus wires and straps.

4.  I slept better during the sleep study than I had in a long time.

So, in conclusion, I need to take a sleep study every night to sleep right.

OR, do as the doctor ordered, and double up on my "happy pills".  Her theory is that my sleep has gotten worse due to the trauma I've endured over my mother's death last year.  Possibility, I suppose.

Wires coming out of every orifice of my body

Have you ever had a sleep study?
What's your sleep style like?
Have any advice for someone that just wants to get a good day's sleep?


An Apel a Day said...

I had to get a mouth guard because I kept grinding my teeth.

Unknown said...

I don't really sleep well after the loss of my daughter. I also don't know that I could handle being wired all up. Glad it was so good for you.

Renee said...

Have you considered a new bed/mattress? Sounds to me like when you were in a more comfortable bed you woke less and got better quality sleep--I know my sleep has suffered recently due to our mattress being uneven and lumpy and uncomfortable after having it for 8 years. Told my husband a new one was on the list of things to buy STAT. I can't believe you slept with all those wires and electrodes attached. And the straps around your boobs. No thank you!!

Theresa Mahoney said...

My husband had his last month, but they sent a little portable machine home with him to hook up to himself before going to be. A belt around the waist, a few sensors to the head and he could sleep normally in his own bed. The test came back a few days later and said he did, indeed, have sleep apnea. We're still trying to figure out how to deal with that, but hopefully we'll get it fixed soon.

Julie Waldron said...

I have insomnia at least one night a week. Especially if I'm on the computer late or I eat late, sometimes it isn't even that. It's frustrating though.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh man that has to be frustrating!

Sue Hull said...

I've never done one and I never will.I dont sleep good anywhere but in my own bed.My sister did and now uses a CPAP.
That sucks that they told you that you sleep normal.